Workwear inspired fashion
2023: The Year of Workwear-Inspired Fashion
Looking for ways to restyle your workwear and create a cool out-of-hours look? Here are all the tips and tricks you need.
An everyday wardrobe item, workwear is trending in 2023. From bibs to overalls and hard-wearing shoes, workwear is a popular style choice for fashion enthusiasts and those looking for an easy-to-style everyday look alike.
So how can you restyle smart casual workwear to express your individual personality? Find out everything you need to know about making workwear your own…
01-What is workwear fashion?
02-What is smart casual workwear?
03-Styling tips for workwear
04-How to style men’s workwear
05-How to style women’s workwear
What is workwear fashion?
The modern workwear style is a casual street look. It’s inspired by the clothes worn by those in a variety of blue-collar trades, such as construction, carpentry and mechanical work. You can spot workwear pieces by their hard-wearing fabrics and comfortable design, with toned-down details and a general lack of fuss.
Workwear makes a statement, standing out in today’s fashion landscape thanks to its quality and casual style. Behind every great workwear garment is the commitment to a hard day’s labour and the skill of a craft.
What is smart casual workwear?
Smart casual workwear is clothing that combines elements of formal business attire with more relaxed and comfortable styles. It is typically appropriate for work settings that require a professional appearance but not traditional formal attire, such as creative businesses or startup environments.
For men, smart casual workwear may include outfits like dress trousers or chinos paired with a button-down shirt, blazer and loafers or smart shoes. For women, styles like a dress or skirt paired with a blouse or sweater, blazer or cardigan and closed-toe shoes would fall into this category.
Styling tips for workwear
Workwear items can form a great base for just about any occasion. The trick lies in how you wear them, and what you wear them with. From smart to grunge, skater, casual or just about any other style – workwear can be adapted effortlessly.
How to style men’s workwear
Whether you’re off to a music festival, out for an evening with friends or heading to a party, it’s easy to incorporate workwear into your outfit. With all the rugged charm of skilled labour and craftsmanship, choosing a capsule wardrobe of workwear staples will mean you can layer up your look effortlessly.
Looking for specific ideas on how to incorporate smart casual workwear into your wardrobe? Check out the styling suggestions below.
Bibs and overalls
For a ready-for-anything, practical look, bibs and overalls are ideal. Offering both pockets and protection, here’s how to quickly style them as you go from the workshop to the bar.
- Layer a plain t-shirt underneath for an easy, casual look
- Pair with a print tee to add colour or make a statement
Rugged and made with hard-wearing fabrics, workwear trousers are low on fuss.
- Roll up the cuffs to show off your shoes or boots and add a more relaxed vibe
- Accessorise with a statement belt or hat for attention-grabbing detail
- For a more edgy look, try pairing your workwear pants with a leather jacket or bomber jacket
Warm, durable and ultra versatile, a great workwear jacket will take you from cool evenings out with friends to weekends in nature, campfire chats and outdoor music gigs.
- Roll up the sleeves to create a more easy-going look
- Pair with a button-down shirt if the event calls for something a little smarter
How to style women’s workwear
Weekends away, meetups with friends, parties or days out sightseeing - workwear can be a part of any adventure. Cut with classic lines in mind, workwear is as comfortable as it is flattering. Ideal for layering, it’s also practical for any weather.
Plus, with plenty of textures and opportunities to accessorise, you can truly make workwear your own, whatever post-work occasion might come your way.
Bibs and overalls
Bibs and overalls are the perfect choice for comfort and style. Plus, they’re versatile, taking you from ultra-functional gear to form-fitting attire in a heartbeat.
- Layer a boho or frilly blouse underneath for a contrasting cool-casual vibe
- Accessorise with a belt to cinch in your waist and add definition to your silhouette
- Pair with sneakers or sandals for a comfortable summer outfit, or dress them up with heels or ankle boots to stay smart in spring and autumn
- For something a little edgier, try layering a cropped sweater or jacket over your bibs or overalls
Classic and durable. Workwear trousers are comfortable and stylish wardrobe items you can wear from picnics to after-work drinks and weekend hangouts.
- Style a pair of women’s workwear trousers with a tucked-in blouse for easy and feminine casual vibes
- Pair with a button-up shirt for something a bit more polished and neat
Warm and cosy, workwear jackets are an easy throw-on for whenever there’s a nip in the air. Campfire chats, evening concerts and weekend picnics just met their ideal jacket.
- Accessorise with a scarf or statement necklace to add a pop of colour
- For unique mix-and-match appeal, try layering your workwear jacket over a maxi dress or midi skirt
Overall, when looking for ways to restyle workwear for an out-of-hours occasion, balance is everything.
Start with a few classic items and look for ways to mix the ruggedness of workwear with more traditional or even statement fashion pieces. This will create a unique, personal style that’s exclusively your own. When it comes to stylish pieces and classic base items, Dickies workwear is one of the most well-known brands in the world.
We have been designing and making high-quality, durable and practical workwear garments for almost 100 years. So whether you’re a worker or a fashionista, we can help you find the ideal workwear for your style and wardrobe.